Avoiding Foolish Debt
1. Debt is a form of slavery
"The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender."
2. Debt prevents rest
"A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest—
and poverty will come on you like a thief
and scarcity like an armed man."
3. Debt is a procrastinator's way of spending money
"Precious treasure and oil are in a wise man's dwelling, but a foolish man devours it."
4. Debt is a metaphor for sin
"By canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross."
5. Debt compromises your ability to provide
"The wicked borrows but does not pay back, but the righteous is generous and gives."
6. Debt compromises your ability to be generous
1 John 3:17
"But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?"
7. God forbids credit card companies in Israel
"For the Lord your God will bless you, as he promised you, and you shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow, and you shall rule over many nations, but they shall not rule over you."
8. Debt conflicts with a hard working mindset
"Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise. Without having any chief, officer, or ruler, she prepares her bread in summer and gathers her food in harvest."
9. Gratitude can keep us from debt
"He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves wealth with his income; this also is vanity."
10. Faith can keep us from debt
"And he said to them, 'Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.’"